I was out riding yesterday at Kingdom Trails when I noticed that something was creaking on my bike. I’m generally pretty fussy about that since “bike noises” tend to drive me crazy. As I went along, the noise became progressively more annoying. About 3/4 of the way through my ride, I noticed a crack that went about 2/3 of the way around the upper seat tube. Not exactly what I was hoping to see at that point. Finding a frame crack 3 days before my first race of the season was not on my agenda.
Ultimately, this was a good thing to find it on Wednesday. I was planning on Tuesday being my last long, hard ride on this bike, but that ride ended up being cut short. Since I didn’t really get a good ride in on Tuesday, I squeezed one in on Wednesday instead. I’m glad to have found the problem now rather than to discover it when I’m 200 miles from home at a race.
I was able to quickly swap all the critical parts of my race bike over to my Black Jabber last night so I should be in good shape for this weekend. Now I have the issue of chasing down the warranty on this thing. I’m trying to be optimistic even though the shop at which I purchased it is out of business and Vassago has since changed ownership. It’ll be interesting.