I started building the wheels for my new bike a few weeks back. My wheel building project was stalled while I waited to get the remaining spokes I needed to complete the front wheel. Once I finally got the correct spokes, I was able to finish the front wheel. Building up a wheel isn’t particularly difficult, it just takes time and a little bit of patience. A while back, I stumbled across a good guide on wheel building which describes the process I follow pretty well.
Started lacing the spokes inside the flanges first so I don’t have to thread and bend them between the outside spokes later.
Installed the freewheel…
…and mounted the disc rotors to the hub. Everything just fits together perfectly, like building with Legos.
Once the disc brakes were mounted, I installed the rim strips. I use the cotton Velox rim strips, even if they are more difficult to remove later. I’ve had the cheap plastic rim strips actually wear a hole in the inner tubes on previous wheels. The rubber rim strips tend to creep around and not stay in place over the spoke holes. I’ve never had a problem with the cloth-based ones.
For tires I’m running Maxxis Ardent on both front and rear. The rear tires are 29×2.25 inch and the front tires are 29×2.4 inch. The front doesn’t look particularly large for a 2.4 inch tire but it’s still big enough.
I still have some minor tweaks to make on the spoke tension, but I could probably get away with leaving them as they are. Both wheels are straight with no discernible wobbles or hops, other than the minor imperfections at the welded seams. It’s somewhat odd that I have more dish on the front wheel than the rear thanks to the disk rotor mount. The rear wheel has very little dish since the freewheel and the disc rotor take up about the same amount space.
Now that the wheels are pretty much done, I hope to be able to complete building up the remainder of the bike this weekend. Hopefully, I will have photos of the complete bike up soon too.